Do I really have to book for dinner?
Our location is remote and therefore we need to plan carefully for dinner. Each evening meal is specially crafted and prepared that day with fresh ingredients. Please book your dinner at time of reservation, or email or call us by 4pm on the day. We have a limited bar snacks menu outside of dinner service while our bar is operating.
Please note that during winter the restaurant may be closed by 6pm if we have no reservations.
How environmentally friendly are you?
We try very hard to reduce our impact on the beautiful environment around us. We are constantly striving to improve our practices and the below is currently in place:
- Electric vehicle for track transfers
- Tesla charging point at Kinloch and Glenorchy for other electric vehicles
- Water is pumped from the lake and filtered for use all over the site
- Food waste goes to the chickens, who then provide our eggs
- Our organic vegetable garden supplies our restaurant
- All food is sourced as locally and sustainably as possible
- Cleaning products are environmentally friendly and chemical-free
- Laundry is line-dried unless the weather prevents us from doing so
What is provided in the rooms at Kinloch?
We provide all linens, towels, hot water bottles, blankets, a heater, ample plug sockets, bedside tables and lamps, a chair or sofa, as well as a compendium of local information. The bathrooms have hairdryers and toiletries.
Can I camp at Kinloch?
There’s a DOC campground in front of the lodge. No reservations are needed, it’s first come first served. There’s a long drop toilet and Lake Wakatipu is your water source.
If I camp, can I use the facilities?
Everyone is welcome in our restaurant to enjoy our offerings. We do have separate showers campers can use for a fee, these are situated near the restaurant and are available between 8 and 10am each morning. The rest of the site is for the exclusive use of our in-house guests.
Can my friends whom are camping use the facilities?
They are welcome to join you in the restaurant but the rest of the site is for paying guests only.
What happens if I can’t make my reservation due to problems with the road to Glenorchy?
If the Glenorchy road is closed we will, where possible, offer safe alternative ways of getting here. These may include boat transfers, 4WD transfers from a given point or alternative times for arrival in the case of problems with the Glenorchy road. Where we are unable to offer an alternative, cancellations can be made without cost.
Is there a supermarket nearby?
We have a small shop on site but recommend shopping in Queenstown before coming up so you have a wide choice of goods. Countdown now deliver groceries to Glenorchy on Wednesdays and Fridays and we can arrange delivery from there to Kinloch.
Are there sandflies?
Like all the beautiful places on the West coast of the South Island we share our environment with sandflies. Please remember to bring your insect repellent with you, however if you don’t have any, we do also sell our favourite brands.
Our best advice during your stay is to:
- Cover yourselves in insect repellent first thing in the morning on any exposed skin – including fingers and toes! Our favourite brands include the natural Goodbye Sandfly, totally natural, and the non-toxic Skin Technology Picaradin.
- Wear light colours and cover any skin not treated with long sleeves, trousers and socks.
- Dine on lots of garlic and vegemite.
- If you are lucky enough, surround yourself with a band of penguins – much more delicious for sandflies than humans and terribly cute, though not normally found in the Wakatipu region.